Harbour Lights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» hello
People from my childhood EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 1:36 am by RayScollen

» I played a Country and Western song backwards .....
People from my childhood EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 9:24 am by RayScollen

» My Old Boyfriend
People from my childhood EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:39 pm by RayScollen

» Back online (we hope)
People from my childhood EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:37 pm by RayScollen

» I have returned to the fold
People from my childhood EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 12:46 am by Jim

» vip
People from my childhood EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 11:01 pm by VIP2006

» Rock House
People from my childhood EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 8:13 am by RayScollen

» another one gone
People from my childhood EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 10:59 pm by Jim

» Gallery Notice
People from my childhood EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 8:15 am by RayScollen

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» hello
People from my childhood EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 1:36 am by RayScollen

» I played a Country and Western song backwards .....
People from my childhood EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 9:24 am by RayScollen

» My Old Boyfriend
People from my childhood EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:39 pm by RayScollen

» Back online (we hope)
People from my childhood EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:37 pm by RayScollen

» I have returned to the fold
People from my childhood EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 12:46 am by Jim

» vip
People from my childhood EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 11:01 pm by VIP2006

» Rock House
People from my childhood EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 8:13 am by RayScollen

» another one gone
People from my childhood EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 10:59 pm by Jim

» Gallery Notice
People from my childhood EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 8:15 am by RayScollen

Gallery

People from my childhood Empty
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

People from my childhood

3 posters

Go down

People from my childhood Empty People from my childhood

Post  RayScollen Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:55 pm

One of the people from my childhood who made a real impression on me was a man by the name of Arthur Crozier. He lived on Vincent Street, Dawdon when I first knew him. He had 2 brothers, Brian and Malcolm. Malcolm was my school friend and it was through him I came to know Arthur. From Vincent Street the Croziers moved to Beaumont Street where Arthur had a large shed in the garden where he indulged his main hobby .... Building model aircraft. We would spend hours watching him work on his latest project, knowing that he would take us up on to the hill by the Town rubbish dump overlooking the golf course when he test flew the plane. In all the times I accompanied him I can't remember once losing an aircraft, and it was a sight to see watching them soar and climb. Another one of his hobbies we were allowed to help with was the making of lead soldiers. They were mainly Grenadier Guards and Blues and Royals in parade uniforms, but somehow the fact we had made them and painted them ourselves made them of more value than shop bought soldiers. Another one of his pride and joys was his Violin. He played for Seaham and Sunderland. I lost contact with Arthur in 1960 but from 1955 to 1960, he played a great part in my growing up along with his younger brother Malcolm. Its strange but I seem to remember those 5 years of my life more than any other period, and sometimes wish I could again meet the people who helped me grow up.

Last edited by RayScollen on Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
RayScollen
RayScollen
Admin

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2007-10-21

Back to top Go down

People from my childhood Empty people from child hood

Post  Jim Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:09 am

The earliest memory i have is of going to school with deka carr and richard heads,we had to walk up the black road because our school was up eastlea oposite the nack pit.There were only 3 class rooms and they had gas mantels for lights.On the way to school we had to pass the allotments one belonging to my old friend luckie greenwood he was jack greenwoods dad the one who got shot next to the post office well his dad kept pigs and i used to help him feed them and clean them out my mam wasnt to pleased because of the smell but the pigs got used to it.The trouble was i had white hair and believe me white hair and pig s--t dont mix.Another garden belonged to a dwarf called walter wix and he had hens and i remeber one day one of them pecked me so i tried to strangle it but got caught off walter who took me to the cop shop where they locked me in a cell to frighten me i was only five at the time.The strange thing is the cop shop was near where the lodge garage is opposite byron terr school but i cant remember it there was also i shop there.Some body might recall it.
Jim
Jim
Admin

Number of posts : 312
Registration date : 2007-10-24

Back to top Go down

People from my childhood Empty Re: People from my childhood

Post  VIP2006 Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:33 pm

I remember Walter Wix, and he had a brother called Arthur who was conductor on the paddies mail at the vane tempest. Arthur was the opposite to walter as he was well over 6ft and a gentle giant
VIP2006
VIP2006
Admin

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2007-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:26 pm

I never knew walter wix had a brother or any family all i can remember is his whistling non stop and always trying to tape the ladies up.Its hard to imagine he could have a brother that big.Do you remember lukie greenwood jacks dad,jack been the one that got shot in the post office raid down the harbour.Jimmy nail did a show about it.luckie used to have a garden at the bottom of the black road where amoung other things he had pigs big sows.I used to help him feed them.
Jim
Jim
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  VIP2006 Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:48 pm

True, Arthur Wix lived near the deneside mission, was married and such a nice fellow
VIP2006
VIP2006
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:00 am

So are you originaly from seaham VIP because you know a lot about it.Do you remember the old mission house that stod where high coll school was up eastlea.Theres a drop in centre there now.
You will also remember some of the old people like lenny button,dona whoofer and the other one with the pointed nose i think his name was bill they all followed the bunkers around to put the coal in.There was also little fat bloke called joe he always had a stripped suit on.Iused to go to saint cuthberts school the first part was up eastlea opposite the nack and the other at the mill inn,there was an old mill there out side the church gates.The other part was up the black road you had to cut through the claypit, peter & tot henry had shops there across the road from the school.That where i first saw walter wix,i used to go to luke greenwoods garden and feed the pigs this was at the bottom of the black road before the labour club i believe it was the legion then and the hendersons had it.
Jim
Jim
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  VIP2006 Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:55 pm

Jim, I was born and bred in Seaham, and lived there until I was married in 1959, Have since lived in Sunderland and will hopefully be celebrating our Golden Wedding next year.

I was born near Rock House, and with my parents lived on the same stairhead as to caretakers (Jack and Fran Eaton) of Rock house. Then moved to the posh end of Deneside (Hexham Avenue) then Wycliffe road Westlea and then I went to Sunderland.

My Father worked at the Nack Pit, I served my time at the Vane Tempest but left when I was 28. I had various jobs and retired as Engineering Manager for Sunderland Councils Public Health and City Direct Services Departments.

I have been retired since 1996, and spend my time with photography, computing and touring with my caravan.

I see that you are attending the hospital with heart problems, and that you may be diabetic, I am "suffering" from Hypertension ( High Blood pressure), Diabetes Type 2 and have been suffering form Angina and high Cholestarol which after taking at least 6 tests have been reconmmended to have a triple bypass op in the near future.

I hope you are found to be OK,

Regards

Fred
VIP2006
VIP2006
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:57 pm

You must of lived near the dene where the gardens were my uncle tommy cowell used to have a garden there for quite some time my cousin and i used to be always there playing in the dene.when you moved to hexham ave they would still of had the old coal fires i can remember putting the coal in and been small could never quite get it all through the hatch,i have a sister lives over that way now shes in ivy ave though,i did live in the corner house number 45 hexam i think.As for west lea i have a photo of my uncle working on it when the first built it he was a hod carrier.The only real difference to that place is that they are mostley private houses now my daughter and my niece live there.
My cousins husband has just had a tripple by pass and he said he felt ten times better although he had to go back for a stent later,now he is always in his allotment and is a different person he looks great.I hope that all go,s well with you if you have one,will you go to newcastle thats where our eric went he says they are good.Up to now im not quite that bad i was originaly going to have a stent put in but they said they were going to try medication first.I did have the angiagram at sunderland and they were going to do the stent there they had just started doing them because you would normaly go to either teeside or newcastle.
Jim
Jim
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  VIP2006 Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:13 pm

Hi Jim. When we went to live at westlea, they were all let to council tenants, with us raggy axses being told by my parents that to buy a house was like putting a noose around yore neck. When I got married, we bought our first house at High Barnes, and we saw it being built from the founds upwards. The house cost £1760.00 and we had to put 20% down and our mortgage per month wa £9..15 and tuppence for 25 year. we never looked back after that.

I just received an appointment the for the Freeman to see the surgeon (or one of his team) to talk about what will happen etc. when he operates on me.

I have been on medication for about 2 years i.e isosorbide mononitate and the cardiologist wanted me to have the surgery last year, I held off as my wife was at that time in the Freeman having a Aortic Valve replacement, this operation went wrong as she was one in a milion who contracted endocarditus with the result the valve had to be replaced a second time. She is now picking up and is getting back to normal. Thus it is now my turn !!!!!

I have had no hesitation choosing the Freeman as in my humble opinion its the best in the area for heart problems, I also consider that the Sunderland Royal to be a good place to be when you need them.
VIP2006
VIP2006
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:11 am

yes i have also been told that they are good at the freeman,my cousin says they are great and the aftercare is also good.
I was at the seaham brick factory at first then i transvered to the nack when it closed i did my underground training at houghton coll then went back to the low main at the nack on supplies i worked with the ponies there was one called seaton he was hugh and cleaver.The pit ponies knew the job better than the men and they also knew every trick in the book when you first coupled them up they wouldnt move but pretend you are uncoupleing them and they were away.If they did get away it was straight back to the stables there was another one called byron and if it got you trapped in a manhole it would try and kick you he was evil but strong.when we rode the ponies they always walked towards the wall because they knew you would have to lean over and hopefully fall off.Another trick was when you were ridding the limers they would stop in the narowest part of the road and there tails would go up by the let blast and they stunk.I worked with a bloke called cud nicholson he will be gone now i think he was a good age then.The worst thing they did at the nack was open the training place opposite us the trainees killed 2 of the ponies by been stupid.my grandad worked at the nack he was called winkle mather because he was so big but he died young from bronchites caused by coal dust.Still had some good times working there but suffering now for it.Then there wasnt realy anything else not if you wanted a good wage pluss a fire because it was all coal then.My uncle worked for a coal firm called broxtons so he didnt need to go down the pit he was lucky.
Jim
Jim
Admin

Back to top Go down

People from my childhood Empty seaham disaster

Post  Jim Sat May 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Ray remember geordie mullan from our school same year and this disaster that i have put on gallery.It was in the echo.As you can see george is on left.
Jim
Jim
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down